What is Urban Air Mobility (UAM)?
It is expected that by 2050 approximately 70% of the worldwide population will inhabit cities. Seeing as urban centres already face issues with traffic congestion and pollution, this fact will only make the situation even more challenging for the quality of life of citizens. Urban Air Mobility provides cities with the ability to move transportation and a number of monitoring activities to the sky and make them more effective, save energy and space, reduce pollution and traffic on the streets!
With Urban Air Mobility, last mile delivery of multiple goods, as well as transportation of people, can cut down severely on the number of vehicles on the streets, reducing carbon emissions, making delivery and transportation cheaper and making distances smaller for residents. It can also make some activities more effective, for example inspections of tall buildings, monitoring of a space from above, or even throwing seeds to plant more and faster trees than before.
What is more, Urban Air Mobility is no future scenario, but already becoming a reality! European legislation is already paving the way for the uptake of a drone air traffic system, regulating how drone flights can take place safely in and outside of urban environments, based on automation and digitisation. At the same time EU funded projects are doing testings with drones on several use cases and a lot of municipalities throughout Europe have already initiated using drones for several purposes.
What are the benefits for the city?
- Cleaner city through reduction of car traffic on roads and last mile deliveries, decreasing the noise and carbon emissions
- A new business model for cities; the rooftops and air will be one of you biggest assets of the future
- Relieving traffic congestion and improving the citizens satisfaction
- Decrease of the population density in city centres and move towards the suburbs due to easier access to the city via flying taxis and quicker delivery of goods
- No extensive infrastructure is required: only transportation (landing, take-off) hubs need to be built, f.e. on rooftops
- Faster response to emergency alerts with life saving equipment or drug deliveries as well as quick assistance to first responders (fire department, police and ambulance)
What are the steps you need to take?
Essentially, it’s one: getting in touch with the Digital Toolbox!
Depending on the use case you want to deploy in your city, your existing infrastructure and local particular conditions we can come up with an UAM solution that fits your organisation and current goals. All you need to do is define the specific purpose and use case you want to use drones for. The Digital Toolbox is then here to help you with procuring your need, finding the right suppliers and integrating the solution; all in a seamless way!
More info on the process here.
The Digital Toolbox is the portal to Next Generation Solutions (NGSs): the future of technology in the city made simple and easy. Our company, Serendipity develops NGSs with ecosystem partners from industry and academia in order to create future proof solutions to address the challenges of (local) governments, campuses and other organisations. Future proof solutions provide the ability to change, expand, or remove parts of the system in order to adapt to changing needs and circumstances. In that way vendor lock-ins are prevented and the costs for software will stay low over time!